CCF Meetings Held in Iqaluit, Nunavut

The Canadian Crafts Federation held its annual meeting in Iqaluit last
week. Partnering with the Nunavut Arts & Crafts Association (NACA) and conveniently held in conjunction with the Alianait Festival and the Nunavut Arts & Crafts Festival. The four day conference encompassed forums, symposiums, presentations, tours, demonstrations, and planning sessions.
The CCF visited artist studios including Rannva Furs and Matthew Nuqingaq‘s Aayuraa Studio, to learn about local creative practices and meet local artists. They also met with curators from the Nunatta Sunakkutaangit MuseumMatchbox Gallery, and the Pangnirtung Tapestry Studio (Brian Lunger, Sue Shirley, and Kyra Fischer respectively) to see an exhibition of ceramics from Rankin Inlet and discuss art in the region.


An annual fundraiser was held by NACA, where six master stone carvers were asked to create works to be auctioned. 80% of the proceeds went back to the artists, with the remaining 20% going to NACA.  There was also a workshop series featuring Northern and Southern artists showcasing techniques ranging from sealskin flower sewing to wood turning.
Advancing art and craft in Nunavut and fostering better working partnerships between the CCF, Aboriginal Affairs & Northern Development Canada, the Canada Council for the Arts, and Canadian Heritage, was on the agenda of the Sanaugait meeting. Other presentations throughout the conference included the impact of the Seal Product Ban on Nunavut which taught conference attendees about the unique export challenges faced by artists in the north.

At the meetings, a new CCF executive was elected. We welcome the following individuals in their new roles:

President: Deb Dumka (felt artist from British Columbia)
1st Vice President: Mark Lewis (glass artist from Ontario)
2nd Vice President: Ken Wilkinson (ceramist from Saskatchewan)
Past President: Simon Wroot (jeweler from Alberta)
Treasurer: Tom Dean (woodturner from Prince Edward Island)
Secretary: Linda Brine (fiber artist from New Brunswick)

A huge thank-you to our former board members (Anna Tyre and Simon Wroot) for their time and huge dedication to the organization, and to all of the organizations, volunteers, and craftspeople who made the conference possible.
Top Image: Canada Day celebrations. Middle Image: Monica Ell’s seal fur workshop. Bottom Image: Toonoo Sharky